Thursday, September 13, 2012

Just A Note, People.


Tweet

I have had on-the-surface, "helpful" spam posted to my blog today, which goes, "hey, i see u dont have many comments, so why dont u go 2 (insert random site here) 2  get mor hits".

See, that's why I moderate all comments. I prefer quality over quantity. I will accept some random comments, if they are not spammy, and if they can be informative. Links on this blog to sites that sell  various handbags, erection sets, and the like...are not writing links, so  they will not be approved.

I have several blogs on Blogger. I believe I have a post on one of them, which specifically invites spam, and which has never, ever, received a bit of it. Granted, I set that one up as a jest, but it underscores the problem of spam comments. M definition of spam is that which does not belong on a specific post, such as, say, posting a link to a site that sells handbags (which is not writing related), as opposed to one selling books (which would be writing related, from a certain point of view, as writing is required to achieve the end product).

Gaming links, such as World of Warcraft, I may consider, if only because of the extensive world-building and lore that has gone into their world's development. If I ever get any posts like that, they should at least include some reference to The world-building, or something that would be of interest to writers.. D&D-related world-building is also relevant, as that also requires character- and world-building.

Handbags are unacceptable. Historical bags... perhaps. The evolution and history of handbags may be a topic of interest. Not a vendor link, but genuine information about the idea behind the modern bag.

It is not that I am disinterested in comments or blog traffic. Rather, what I am interested in, are comments and traffic of a thoughtful, informative nature. I am not trying to sell anything to anyone. I started LinksAPlenty as a place to store bookmarks I wanted to hang on to, for various reasons, because I have had a few too many computers crash on me, and no backups of links, nor data, on which to fall back. I'm glad when people share theirs with me as well, and any suggestions they may have on the way I organize my links.

And today's LinksAPlenty is a vast improvement over the original post, which had every single link on one post. Separating them, at least to an extent, via alphabetical attempts, was the best move I ever made. It's helped me find links more quickly, as well as post them to a particular section.

Every once in a while, I go through the posts and make sure the links are still viable, too. Sure, I don't have to; but I'd still like to be able to find given links quickly.

3 Comments:

At 2:39 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Speaking of which, and I would like to point this out, I will not approve of boot advertisements, either, Anonymous. Those, and handbags, are accessories, and not writer's tools, per se. Characterization, maybe, depending on the story, but the researh for that is what Google is for, and not this particular blog.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Liz said...

*research.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Of couirse, commetns to my writing links blog will be moderated. Any post not having to do with writing, and in fact having everything to do with subjects which have not been mentioned, linked to, or discussed on my blog (or, in the case of all those ugg-ly Ugg boot advertisemetns) will be summarily dismissed as spam, and not approved. Quality, not quantity, is key here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home